Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Bird Nerd Sees the Owl

Hello, "I'm a bird nerd."

I know many folks for whom that would be in all caps. And a few more for whom it would be in BOLD as well.

I'm just a minor case "bird nerd" and having fun at it.

A friend called this week to let me know that an Eastern Screech-Owl returns to their neighborhood each year. In fact, there is usually a nesting pair and she has watched as many as three babies learn to fly. Then she invited me to come look.*

Upon arrival, we looked for the owls, but they either weren't up yet or were out hunting. "Do you mind if I call them?" I asked. She had no objection so I played the recording I have on my cell.** Almost immediately we heard the owls calling from inside their hollow tree home. We took about a 30 minute break and tried calling them again.

This time the call was not returned, but one owl came to the edge of the hollow limb - to investigate. It was getting dark and I did not get a good photo, but my friend said she would look for some she had taken.

These owls are fairly common. But, then again they aren't. They are a reminder of the wild that is all around us. For that, they are pretty special to me.

Here you go:

All rights reserved by D. L. Cowen

All rights reserved by D. L. Cowen


NOTES:

* We have had Eastern Screech-Owls in our neighborhood before. We would hear them while walking in the early evening or just before dawn. We had them in my parent's neighborhood as well. They have a wonderful group of calls - perhaps not what you would expect from an owl. Still, once you have heard a screech owl, you know it. [We haven't heard any screech owls - or the Great Horned Owls who used to nest in the neighborhood park - for years.]

**If you would like to hear their vocalization, please visit this site: https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Eastern_Screech-Owl/sounds


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.