Wednesday, September 28, 2016

86 Miles of none-too-good Texas Roads

We were going to hike at Enchanted Rock. I don't think DH and I have been there together since 1981 when I was challenged* to rappel down the side of the rock.

Anyway, we had a late start and decided instead to wander, run an errand, sample some wine, and timing the trip out to the Old Railway Tunnel.

Fredericksburg

We started at Andy's, the local diner (cannot beat a place continuously operated for almost 60 years) where the Kiwanis Club meets. The food was good and the people (including other customers) delightful. And who doesn't love one of those trains that runs along the edge of the ceiling?

For some reason I figured we would need to bring our own "Splenda." Yes, we have become those people who take extra and put it in our pockets/glove compartment/purse in case there is only the "pink stuff" at a later stop.
DH  chose well.
Diner food. Perfect.
The train. [Santa Fe was purchased some years ago and is now BNSF - Burlington Northern-Santa Fe]

After our hearty meal we decided to hit the hospital/hospice thrift store across the street. It was fabulous (REALLY! I know thrift stores. This was a great one). The volunteers greeted us with the offer of a free floral sofa. We giggled and graciously declined. We also tried hard to "just look," but did find a few things we couldn't pass up.** Hey, it's for a good cause!

My mother's china  - Russel Wright Casual China from the 50s. [Mom had it in white, yellow and a chocolate brown. I think this color is "apricot."] I love it and have some of most colors.
Why did I end up in the work "team building" section?
Russian greeting cards. I kid you not!
Re-worked old quilt blocks.
And a very well-loved quilt.
Had it been a yellow tabby portrait, it might have come home with us.
Ask me no questions and I will tell you no lies. I love yard art.
We passed on the great selection of games - even though we were intrigued by Othello and Bargain Hunter.

Kerrville

By the time we got back to the car the day was warming up. We thought better of hiking and so we headed to the Riverside Nature Center in Kerrville*** to deliver a donation of 8 small pots of agave plants.**** We loved the nature center, once we got there.

[The section of road from Fredericksburg to Kerrville is often under construction or full of slow moving traffic. We travel it a few times each year and find do find it a frustrating 20 minute drive. Today the construction was significant. There were flag men. There were 10 minute (at least) waits. It was slow going and the gravel was being "kicked up." We knew we would plot a different course home.]

Some of the road construction stuff.

But the Nature Center was more than we could have imagined. It has gardens, a river walk (in partnership with the city and others), a plant section, a shop, and some of the nicest staff we have encountered. We headed outside to the gardens while we could still tolerate the heat.

DH and I wandered apart for a few minutes and then he was back at my elbow. "I have identified my first Queen butterflies," he said. Having learned about them at the lecture yesterday evening, it was grand to have the opportunity to use our new knowledge. He discovered a planting of the blue mistflowers***** and so had the Queen butterflies.

Some of the handouts from the lecture.
DH found the mistflowers and and Queen butterflies.



I suppose REAL naturalists would have counted the butterflies. We just watched and enjoyed.

One of the things I love about fall walks is finding the late blooming wildflowers. Some folks think once the bluebonnets, gallairdia and Indian paintbrushes have done their thing, we are pretty much through. But fall bring a continuation of some and then some surprising pops of color. It also brings interesting seeds. The nature center was abloom - something down every path and around every corner.
The liatris had either gotten tall and top heavy or a rain had caused them to fall over.
The paths are well maintained and provided sun and shade.



Turk's Cap. I love this plant. I am not sure why I cannot grow it.



A perfect Texas vignette - prickly pear cactus, mesquite tree, and Texas sage (another thing I cannot grow).
The spiky seeds of the cockleburr (we called them "porcupine eggs" when we were little).


Webworms were making themselves known.
Okay. I worked a long time to get this beauty in focus. What a lovely little delicate pink bloom.
The river trail took us along the river and past more wildflower and beautiful oaks and cypress trees.

You can just see the water through the trees.
The canopy of one amazing oak.
We ran into the Paul Lewis, one of the officers of the RNC related that the city worked hard to save this tree.
The gardens don't allow pets, but folks can walk their animals along the River Trail. One can bike there too. We found the bikers most polite - letting us know when they approached on our "blind side." And, dear readers, you know how I love hunde toilettes.
There are always rules.
We will need to come in the spring and spend a day or two along the river.
We were reminded that it was time for our lunch.

Some folks just cannot follow the rules.
It didn't take long for the sun to heat up the day. Cypress trees along the river.

Old Man's Beard going to seed.
Many of the grasses were going to seed as well. But the whole trip has been remarkably green - the state has had lots of rain at odd intervals.
Why there is bamboo here is a mystery to me. The staff said it was there before the center was founded...and they fight it with everything they have. DO NOT PLANT BAMBOO!

Comfort

In order to avoid the construction on State 16, we headed through the country to Comfort...now a town of bistros, moonshine, and antiques.

Comfort food in Comfort. DH had the crab cakes. I had a veggie sandwich and ate all the pickled veggies (they were a bit spicy, but delicious!) at High's Cafe.
It was a good and messy sandwich...too much spinach.
Detail of a photo in High's - an "old timer" crossing the river on a footbridge.
Bear with me for DH's joke. The old hotel across the street is the Faust Hotel. DH said he would not have parked his Soul so close to the Faust Hotel had he been paying attention.
A little view of downtown Comfort.
I love old metal buildings.
DH headed to the Comfort Antique Mall and I had to follow, didn't I?

Boy Scout adventure stories
A Singer Featherweight (Mom's machine)
I saw the case and knew the machine had to be there. The price was right, but I already have one.
This beautiful stenciled and sponge painted crock was lovely - and expensive. People don't buy big crockery anymore.
They had a goodly selection of crocks, jugs, pitchers and bottles.
Even I don't buy them anymore, but I do love to look.
This was a neat old Girl Scout book from the 1920s

Sisterdale

Since we were already "out of the way" we took a detour to Sisterdale. My grandfather had property here when I was a child. I remember his horse and cattle. I remember the oak tree in the back of the house. I remember swimming in Sister Creek.

We hear people are buying up property in Sisterdale. And they have a dance hall and general store. And there is (and has been) a winery in the old cotton gin. We went there about 10 years ago and did so again, buying some bottles for gifts...and those tough Thursdays. Sister Creek Winery****** has some award winning wines - try the Muscat Canelli Reserve.

Sister Creek Winery in the old Sisterdale Gin
We took a short tour of the winery - here is the wine "resting."
I wouldn't have tried the stairs even without the sign.

It was a long day. Will we make it to Enchanted Rock and the Old Railway Tunnel (to watch the bats emerge) tomorrow? Stay tuned.


NOTES:

*Okay. DH had a friend who was in the Marine Reserves. His friend had a girlfriend who was young and cute and in a sorority. She said she would rappel if I did. So one height-fearing law student rappelled - practiced on our front porch - trusting DH would make sure I was safe. I was successful. The sorority chick had to be rescued half-way down. [Nothing against sororities - you have to remember the politics of the day. I was a GDI.]

**DH and I are "downsizing." We donate a couple of boxes of books to the library each week. I mostly take photos of interesting things these days. But sometimes some little thing falls into my pocket.

*** About: http://riversidenaturecenter.org/index/about-rnc/
       Newsletter: http://riversidenaturecenter.org/index/about-rnc/monthly-newsletters/current-monthly-newsletter/

****http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=AGAM  I grow these plants in pots. They are spreaders and will take over your yard if you aren't careful. They multiply ridiculously fast. I had potted these for a plant exchange a year or two ago and the event was cancelled. I have waited for an opportunity to "move them along." The Hill Country Master Naturalists are having a native plant sale and I saw my opportunity. I'm not sure anyone will want them - really. They are such a badly behaved plant. But these are out of my yard. I still have some and will be potting up another batch to share again.

***** Mistflowers for butterflies: http://npsot.org/wp/story/2009/796/

****** http://www.sistercreekvineyards.com/





















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.