Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Little dog lost, little dog found?

I am watching the clock this morning. Lola, the pet of my friend, OB, has gone missing. Yes, by the date you know it was a fireworks escape.

Flyers posted all over the neighborhood!
We were in this spot last year. [Our Paddy was frightened during the day of the 4th, we suspect, by the fly-over of military jets. She was gone for 3 days before she returned home covered in burrs.] So we knew the drill - flyers out in the neighborhood, visit the pounds, and pray she comes home. We also know the worry. That worry must be even harder for a young girl.

OB and I visited one pound on Monday - no Lola. We arrived at the second pound only to find it closed (FYI some places have very limited hours - call first). I promised I would go the next morning (when OB was in class) and tried to memorize Lola's image...black, small, curly-ish hair, and floppy ears. She looks a bit like a poodle mix.

My visit to the pound (I hate this. I want to bring every puppy home.) resulted in the discovery of a small female dog resembling Lola. She was picked up near the area where Lola went missing a few days after the 4th. Of course the dog did not make it easy for me. "Lola? Lola!" I called. The dog just looked at me. If it was Lola I could imagine what she was thinking - "Who are you? I don't know you? Where is OB?"

I emailed OB's parents that I thought I had found the dog, but we would have to get a positive id in the morning.  I picked up OB after her class and she peppered me with questions: "Was she small? How small? Was she black? What did her ears look like? Her hair, was it curly? Did she bark? She just looked at you? That sounds like her."

I tried to keep expectations low. It still may be someone else's lost dog.

The bulletin board at the pound is full of "lost dog" flyers.

We discussed our approach - our "story."* What will we say? In situations such as this, it is best not to say too much and see how things go. Once OB identifies I will do the rest. If it is Lola, I am sure there will be paperwork...and bail...maybe fines.

But for now it is a waiting game. We have another couple of hours to go. I need another cup of coffee and another prayer.

Well?

We headed to the county pound. An unexpected change of schedule allowed me to take my lawyer (DH came along). Everyone knew their part. OB would identify the dog. I would plead ignorance of just about everything. DH would take over if I got mad or cried. And I think we all prayed - let it be Lola.

We walked in and handed the officer our flyer. "We think you have our dog."

"I think we do too," she said.  "Please sign in and we will go look."

We signed in and headed down to the kennel. The small black dog was in the back part of the pen, but whimpered and came running when OB called her. Yes, it was Lola.

Lola in jail. 

We went to the office to fill out paperwork. The bail should have been $85 but we got the "senior discount"** and paid $35 to spring Lola. Proof of rabies vaccine would also be required. We didn't have to do anything, but listen to the officers and follow the procedure. No tears (or lawyers) were required. The officers were professional, kind, and very sensitive to potentially emotional situations.


One happy dog and one happy girl!

After thanking the officers*** and wishing them only happy reunions today we headed to the vet. They were able to work us in and provided the rabies shot with no fuss or bother.


"What do you mean I have to have a shot?"
We aren't sure what Lola did while missing, but this cover dog we saw at the vet looks suspiciously like a pooch we know.
Making herself at home on the ride home. Our pups will wonder who has been riding in their car.

Where do you celebrate a successful missing dog investigation? Well, we went to a local restaurant famous for good hamburgers and great shakes.



We toasted Lola's return with chocolate shake, blueberry shake and diet Pepsi.
Yum.


Seriously folks: Only 13% of lost dogs every find their way home. We have been very fortunate in our last two experiences with runaways. Please secure your animals during parades, fireworks, and other times of loud noises. Chip your animals and make sure they wear their collars with tags.

We wish you fun times with your cats and dogs (and gerbils and raccoons and opossums and birds and lizards and turtles....).


NOTES:

*Oh my goodness! This is a kid after my own heart.
** I have gotten so many senior discounts lately that, although the officer did not say it, it was kind of implied. I guess the rule is - send grandparent types to bail out run-away dogs.
***A thank you note will also be forthcoming.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.