Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Paddy is grounded...until further notice...no one violates curfew in this house and gets away with it.

Just before noon on Monday we had a sudden and unexpected outbreak of thunderstorms. They were pretty extraordinary - lots of wind and lightning and thunder. I had seen the sky getting dark. I hustled to get to a "stopping place" at work where I could leave the office and go home to rescue the two dogs in the yard. [We are in our busiest time of the year. There are long lines. People are cranky. We don't always get a lunch. I.e. It is hard to get away.]

When I arrived at the house, one wet scruffy Scruffy was standing at the gate waiting for me. I asked him where Paddy was as I opened the gate. Usually he will turn back into the yard for her. Today he ran past me to wait at the back door. I knew then that our Houdini dog was out-on-the-world.

I waded through the wet yard and called and whistled. No dog.

So I went back to work - driving slowly through the neighborhood - and called all the usual places - police, vet, pound. I designed "missing dog" fliers for the telephone poles.*

This was the best I could do in a hurry. I figured it was good enough for starters. (Phone number deleted for this post, of course)


I drove through the neighborhood and called and whistled. I went to the park where we walk. I went through the cemetery where we also walk. Then I did it all again.

Late last evening, dog still missing, I wandered the yard and called and whistled. Early this morning I went out to call and whistle.

She had never stayed out overnight before. This did not look good.

The man who answered the phone at the pound said they had a chocolate lab, but refused to tell me what gender or whether or not it had a collar .** So, I skipped lunch and drove to the pound and looked at all 70 animals, including the MALE chocolate lab. Our Paddy was not there.

I went home and called and whistled. Scruffy was home and met me at the gate for his cookie.

A lizard was waiting on the concrete stone beside the back door.

Larry the lizard comes home on time...
But there was no Paddy.

I went back to work and was met with the sad, compassionate faces of my coworkers, animal people all. They were worried about the dog and me. A number of them had volunteered to search the park and neighborhood with me this evening.

Then at 4:46 p.m. I received a text message. "She's ba-a-ck!" read the message from DH. Right after he got home from work Paddy walked up to him in the driveway.

After announcing the news to the office staff *** I took a short break and called/sent text messages/emailed all the folks who were on alert for our girl.

I took Paddy some cookies and checked her over. She is covered in "beggar's lice." **** She has an injured paw.***** I have tried to brush the burrs from her coat, but I had little luck. I will have to pick them out one-by-one.

It is going to take some time to get her back to her new normal. Our girl is older. She is starting to decline mentally and physically. She is not the dog she once was. But she is ours and she is back.

Now I can cry.


NOTES:

*I know, it is against the law to post on telephone poles - whatever. I made a lot. Guess I will save them...she is Houdini dog after all.

**Paddy has her name and our phone number on her collar. She also wears tags from the vet. No, she is not "chipped." Don't judge me. Until the last year or so she was not a "runaway."

***Yes, there were cheers. And "Team Paddy" stood down.

****There are some 13 types of Desmodium in Texas and a page full nation-wide listed at the USDA site. http://plants.usda.gov/java/nameSearch  - lets you research all kinds of plants.

They are supposed to be a "good" plant, but I consider them a menace in the yard and I try to keep them pulled up. Heaven knows what fields Paddy ran through in her travels.

*****What do you want to bet she got it digging out? [Of course, there will be a vet bill!]



Paddy shamed at my office 8-13-14:

A member of my staff posted this on my door this a.m.





1 comment:

  1. Beggar's lice come out pretty well with a regular "man's comb." Do not use a rat-tailed comb or you will poke your eye out struggling with dog. You will be amazed at how many strange places these "little buggers" can hide.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.